It was my Grandma who got me hooked on building gingerbread houses. We always started with a box kit, but with her magic, our houses always turned into something much more. We would add fluff, little Santas and thoroughly candy the roof until it came alive. It was one of my favorite winter activities as a kid, but for awhile I forgot how much I loved constructing those wintery scenes. A few years ago, I got back into the gingerbread scene :) Last year, I built a replica of our home that featured bubblegum siding and a black licorice roof. This year, we decided to tackle an entire village...for dogs, complete with all of their favorite stops!
This is Dogville, a vibrant and mostly safe town for dogs. Although sometimes, they have to deal with the threat of Dogzilla :)
The town features a Tennis Ball Shop...
A Peanut Butter Store...
And a Bacon Mart.
Plus, a lake for doggies to splash around in on warmer days...
And plenty of fire hydrants. You know, just all the essentials.
For the most part everyone gets along, aside from frequent complaints that the town is being eaten. It happens!
And in case you're interested, here's how we made Dogville:
- Gingerbread Village Kit (which includes impressively strong icing, gumdrops and confetti sprinkles)
- Tennis Ball Shop: Sprees and Reese's Pieces
- Tennis ball pole: Lemonhead stuck on a pepermint stick, stuck in a circus peanut base (cut) and covered in snowy bank of frosting
- Peanut Butter Store: circus peanuts (cut)
- Bacon Mart: Airheads Xtremes Sour Belts (cut)
- Bushes: green gumdrops and Sour Green Apple Gummies (cut)
- Fire hydrants: Sprees, Twizzlers Pull N' Peel (cut) and Cherry Nibs (cut) and red gumdrops (cut)
- Doggie Lake: this Pond Kit with a Lifesaver as a float toy
- Snowy village base: white icing, spread with a spatula
When was the last time that you built a gingerbread house? :) Working on them was really relaxing for me.
Woof! (Hey, there!) Pierogi, Gilly and Sarah here. Thanks for stopping by our dog blog. We're a little dog-obsessed around here and Pierogi & Co. is all about inspiring you to enjoy the dog days. Because life's more fun with your best (furry) friend by your side. So grab a bone and follow along as we stop to sniff the flowers...