It's funny...while Pierogi and Gilly don't really require any deshedding tools, our home sure does! Some days, I can jive with all the fur in our home; other times, it seems like we literally live on top of Pierogi and Gilly's coats - and they're only short haired guys! For the most part, I try to keep up with a regular cleaning schedule (deshedding included), but when I'm caught off guard or there's little time to prepare before guests stop by, I like to focus on a few key areas.
Our home opens into our living room. It's a high traffic area that our family can frequently be found in, but we also typically relax there with friends. So, this is where I focus my energy when I'm short on time, but need to make our house *sparkle*! Here are the four quick things I do to deshed our home before guests arrive...
1. Deshed the couch. This is almost always the first place that I start, since it's a natural place for guests to gravitate to. I talked about our more robust cleaning solution for our couch here, but when I'm pressed for time, I reach for this bone sponge. It works like a charm and only take a few minutes to go over the entire couch - sides and all.
2. Cast a spell on our broom (tutorial here). One of our favorite features about our home are the dark hardwood floors throughout our main level, but one downside to them is that they highlight everything that falls onto them -- like fur! So before giving our floors a quick "wash", I'll sweep the area with a broom or unleash this gadget (which kind of runs on the same magic from Sleeping Beauty) so that I can keep multitasking.
3. Make our floors *sparkle*. After sweeping up all the fur, treat crumbs, stick pieces and toy stuffing, I move on to mopping our floors. This is to pick up any leftover fur and to go over paw prints and lick marks (sometimes Gilly gets urges to lick the floor!) We have a full size floor steamer, but after one of our DogVacay hosts raved about one of these "easy mops", we had to try one too. This is the one that we went with and absolutely love it! There are typically more ongoing costs associated with "easy mops" (the pads and cleaning solution) than there are with traditional steamers, but, boy, are they convenient! Plus, our floors look just as good with our "easy mop" as they do with our steamer.
4. Give the baseboards some love. After I've successfully conquered both the couch and the floors, two very obvious spots that collect hair, I'll give the baseboards some love. Even though we have pretty simple baseboards, a surprising amount of dog hair tends to be attracted to its grooves. So to give the room that finishing touch, I'll swipe a rag along the baseboards. Simple as that!
5. Bonus! Light a candle. While this doesn't help to deshed our home, it will help it smell fresh and adds to the illusion of a crisp and clean home.
What are some of your tips? Friends with long-haired doggies, what do you rely on to deshed your home? We'd love to know!
Woof! (Hey, there!) Pierogi, Gilly and Sarah here. Thanks for stopping by our dog blog. We're a little dog-obsessed around here and Pierogi & Co. is all about inspiring you to enjoy the dog days. Because life's more fun with your best (furry) friend by your side. So grab a bone and follow along as we stop to sniff the flowers...