Our backyard is now fenced! *Does the dancing-woman-in-the-red-dress-emoji dance*
A few weeks ago, we had a fence built in our backyard and it's been life changing for our family. If you've ever met a Boston Terrier, you may also know how rambunctious they can be. Plus, after watching Pierogi sprint around the dog park with ecstasy, every time we went - for over a year, we decided to make our own green space more available to our pups.
As soon as the fence was completed, we let the boys out to discover what all the noise from that day had created. Their reaction was so sweet. Pierogi was cautious at first, but then started zooming around and didn't stop for anything or anyone. Gilly stepped down our deck stairs and into our backyard and just strut his stuff to every fence corner.
They were so tired and excited that night that they barely made it to the bed. The next morning, they bolted up and trotted right to our back door, and that excitement hasn't wavered. Their love for being outside has been great, but we've also noticed several benefits from Pierogi and Gilly getting more exercise...
1. Maybe the most obvious benefit is that they're staying fit. We've never had any issues with their weight (Pierogi and Gilly are both healthy according to our vet) but we believe that fresh air never hurts. Although, according to this article, farm dogs who regularly get healthy doses of fresh air and activity aren't necessarily happier.
2. They're getting into fewer scuffles. Pierogi and Gilly are still hashing out a few house rules (when squeaky toy hour should be, who has precedence when they both appear at the water bowl, who should send the first warning bark when a squirrel is spotted, etc.), but the extra space has given them more room to spread out and explore. Plus, the exercise, again, tires them out past caring about who's chewing on who's toy.
3. Pierogi, alone because Gilly is a fierce eater, has become a slightly better and less picky eater. Pierogi has never been strongly motivated by his kibble and we usually have to spice it up to even get him to look at it, but the extra activity has been working up his appetite. Now, he sometimes take it without a topper - woah!
4. They're sleeping sounder. After a long day of running around, they're now falling asleep earlier and snoozing like little logs. They've also temporarily suspended their late night workouts, in which they would do calisthenics throughout our house, between the hours of 10 and 11 pm to wear themselves out for bed :)
5. And finally, Pierogi and Gilly just seem happier. We've been propping our back door open, so that they're able to freely come and go and they choose to spend the majority of their time outside. (Don't worry, we're still helicopter parents even in our own backyard.) They love sunbathing on our deck, rolling around in the shade and chasing everything that catches their eyes. The great outdoors has always been Pierogi's happy place, and Gilly's happy place is usually wherever Pierogi is.
Does your dog fancy the great outdoors?
Woof! (Hey, there!) Pierogi, Gilly and Sarah here. Thanks for stopping by our dog blog. We're a little dog-obsessed around here and Pierogi & Co. is all about inspiring you to enjoy the dog days. Because life's more fun with your best (furry) friend by your side. So grab a bone and follow along as we stop to sniff the flowers...